Public Sector Post President StipendsSAME is offering a complimentary registration (does not include the Society Ball), hotel stay of up to four nights, and a travel stipend to public sector Post Presidents of small and medium posts to attend JETC 2020. This offer is only available to the Post President and may not be "transferred" to another Post officer. In accepting the stipend, recipients must provide one of the following: Blog Post, Video Testimonial, or short article for the Real TiME Newsletter about the value of attending the conference or being a volunteer leader for SAME. The selected item should be submitted no later than 2 weeks after the conference. Failure to send the summary could result in a registration fee charge to your record. For details and instructions on Post President stipends, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Young Member / Enlisted Stipends
Stipends to attend Joint Engineer Training Conference and Expo (JETC) will be awarded to active SAME enlisted and/or young members who have demonstrated support of SAME at the Post or National level and who might not otherwise be able to attend. Recipients must attend all General Sessions (with the exception of the Society Ball which is an additional fee) and the Young Member/Enlisted/Fellows Luncheon and write a blog post or article about the benefits of attending JETC. The stipends will provide complimentary registration, round-trip flights, and a hotel stay of up to four nights. Awardees will be accepted based on SAME Participation; Professional Development; and Accomplishments and Deployments. Submissions will close on March 1, 2020.
To be considered for a stipend, you must meet the following criteria
- Hold an Enlisted (Active, Guard or Reserve) or Young Professional (Industry or Government/Military and aged 39 or under) membership at the time of JETC.
- A Join Date before January 1, 2019 [Note: Stipend recipients are expected to have 18 months of membership in SAME prior to being awarded a stipend to attend JETC].
- Active member of an SAME Post, Field Chapter or National Community of Interest for the past year (as reflected in the application form).
- Priority will be given to individuals who have never attended JETC or have not previously been awarded a stipend.
- A letter of endorsement from the Post or Field Chapter President or Committee or Council Chair supporting the award of a stipend.
- Completion of the online application form, which includes a short summary of SAME Participation; Professional Development; and Accomplishments and Deployments.
- Up to 12 stipends will be awarded.
- Stipend recipients will be notified via e-mail by April 15.
- Stipends will receive complimentary travel to attend the JETC via the most economical method of transportation (flight, rail, or mileage/parking).
- Stipend recipients will receive a complimentary hotel stay of up to four nights (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday) to attend. Stipend recipients are required to follow the SAME booking methods and stay at the hotel designated by SAME.
- Stipend recipients receive complimentary Full Conference Registration (not including the Society Ball).
- Upon notification of being offered a stipend, awardees will need to confirm they are able to accept the stipend. Then they will receive instructions on how to register for the conference and make hotel and travel reservations.
- Before accepting stipends, nominees must obtain approval from their supervisor and Federal employees (military and civil service) should seek the advice from their local ethics counselor. Military personnel are expected to obtain the government rate at their selected hotel and should adhere to current regulations regarding wearing of the uniform
- Recipients must provide a short 1-2 paragraph summary of their activities at the conference that demonstrates the value of their attendance. Summaries should be submitted no later than 2 weeks after the conference. Failure to send the summary could result in a registration fee charge to your record.
Applications for stipends will be awarded based on favorable review of the application materials. Representatives from the Young Member and Enlisted Communities of Interest, along with SAME National Staff will review and approve nominations/applications. Click here for the Young Member/Enlisted Stipend Application Form.